And as a quick side note, my Toys for Tots holiday fundraiser is up and running for the 5th consecutive year with about 9 days left for making a donation. See this post for details on how you can help donate to Toys for Tots with a few easy clicks and to check out the posts and pictures from years passed. It's a great cause and a donation of as little as $5 will help make this Christmas a little better for a family who could really use the help.
Now on to the goodies!
Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (candied/crystallized ginger should be on the spice aisle)
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Frosting:
16 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 - 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Place crystallized ginger and water in Pyrex measuring cup or microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and allspice. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time until thoroughly incorporated. Add in vanilla, milk and pumpkin puree beating until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. With the mixer on low, gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
5. Use a mesh strainer to strain the ginger from the measuring cup you microwaved the crystallized ginger with the water. Keep syrup for cream cheese frosting. Mince the ginger and use a rubber spatula to gently fold it into the batter.
6. Using a large cookie scoop divide the batter between the prepared muffin wells.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. In a the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter until well combined.
2. With the mixer of low, slowly add the confectioners’ sugar until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla and ginger syrup and mix to combine.
Now pipe or spread the frosting onto the completely cooled cupcakes and enjoy! :)
Make sure you check out the other Extravaganza participants this year!